Gout is a metabolic disorder that is characterized by recurrent attacks of inflammatory arthritis. The most common symptoms are swollen and stiff feet, accompanied by extreme pain. The underlying cause of gout is the abnormally high level of uric acid (hyperuricemia), which occurs as a result of an inefficient removal of waste. Uric acid is formed during the breakdown of purines (heterocyclic aromatic organic compounds that are found in many food products). When the kidneys can’t remove the uric acid properly, it starts to crystallize and form deposits in our joints, which leads to inflammation. The joint at the base of the big toe feet is affected in about half of gout cases. Other joints like heels, knees, fingers and wrists may also be affected. If left untreated, increased uric acid levels can lead to tophi, kidney stones, and urate neuropathy.
However, despite the obvious connection between high uric acid levels and gout, it doesn’t mean that everyone who suffers from hyperuricemia will also experience gout.
HOW TO REDUCE ELEVATED URIC ACID (HYPERURICEMIA)?
The first thing you should is to change the lifestyle and the unhealthy eating habits. Every healthy diet is usually based on foods such as vegetables and fruits, whole grains, some types of seafood, and lean meat.
- Some meat and meat products, especially internal organs like liver or kidney, contain very high levels of purines.
- The following types of seafood are also rich in purines: sardines, tuna, anchovies, mussels, herring, scallops, trout, haddock, and mackerel.
- Avoid sunflower seeds.
- Reduce the consumption of high processed sugars such as high-fructose corn syrup and foods high in saturated fats.
- Stop drinking alcohol
- Increase your water intake in order to keep your body hydrated and improve its ability to remove toxins.
- Increase your physical activity.
HERE ARE SOME NATURAL SOLUTIONS THAT WILL HELP YOU IN THE FIGHT AGAINST GOUT:
- Some studies suggest that baking soda may be very helpful in reducing high levels of uric acid. That’s why we recommend you to make a mixture of half a glass of water and ½ teaspoon of baking soda. Drink it every day. In you have frequent gout attacks, you should use one teaspoon of baking soda.
- You can protect your body from the negative effects of gout by increasing the intake of alkaline drinks and foods. One fantastic example is lemon juice. Squeeze one lemon in a glass of warm water and drink the mixture every morning before the breakfast in order to prevent the buildup of uric acid crystals. We also recommend you to consume more of these alkaline foods:
- Apple Cider Vinegar is another ingredient that will alkalize your body. This is due to its high content of malic acid, which is known for its ability to dissolve uric acid and removes it from the body. Mix one tbsp. of organic ACV into a glass of water (200 ml). Drink this mixture twice a day, before lunch and dinner.
WE WILL ALSO PRESENT YOU THE 3 FOODS THAT CAN HELP PREVENT GOUT:
- Curcumin, the active ingredient of turmeric, is known for its ability to protect the kidneys.
- Pineapples also have their active ingredient – it is called bromelain. This enzyme has strong anti-inflammatory effects and acts as an analgesic agent.
- Many studies have shown that flaxseeds can reduce the uric acid levels in people.